Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
We are using Newgenlib for entering cataloging books. Librarian found that stock register reports shows only 3000 records whereas Accession register gives 8000 records. In accession register, some of nos are repeating. Actual books entered are also about 3000 only. What could be the reason for same? What is meaning of accession register? Please let us know. Thanks
Darshan
sssihmspg

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
Please send us the backup the database. We need to check the same.
The backup can be attached to a posting of this forum

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Dear sir,
Please find attached back file as of today. Userid and password are newgenlib.
If you need anything pls let me know.
Thanks

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
Did not get nay attachment.
Email to support AT verussolutions.biz

I am using AT because @ is not supported

Re: Accession register and Stock register

We have checked your database. There are a total of 3,027 items in the database.
Please generate a complete accession register. You must get 3,027 only.
In Accession register you have an option to generate a "Complete" report.

Accession register is register in a library that has details of the accession numbers in the library.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Dear sir,
I checked here in accession register complete option. For cardiology series itself we have arround 2480 books, similarly for ophthal 3030. We have 5-6 series. I have also attached screen shots for same.
Please let us know what could be the issue.
Thanks
With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM, Verus Open Source Support [via NewGenLib] <[hidden email]> wrote:
We have checked your database. There are a total of 3,027 items in the database.
Please generate a complete accession register. You must get 3,027 only.
In Accession register you have an option to generate a "Complete" report.

Accession register is register in a library that has details of the accession numbers in the library.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5979860.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Accession_register.docx (322K) Download Attachment

It would be of great help if u could tell what's issue.
thanks

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
Hi,
First understand the concept of Accession Series.
Let us take an example of a college (or university)
Books that are purchased with the aid of UGC are given a separate Accession Register. All the books in this Register (Or UGC accession series) will have a prefix UGC. Means accession numbers will look like UGC000001, UGC000002 and so on.

Books that are gifted are given a separate Accession Register. All the books in this Register (Or GIFTS accession series) will have a prefix, say GF . Means accession numbers will look like GF000001, GF000002 and so on.

But see that despite different accession series, accession numbers will remain unique.

In your case there is no difference between you various accession series, hence you see  repeated set of accession numbers.
If you a complete accession register, you will get 3,027 documents only.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Thanks for clarification but still I have a doubt sir. Since we are having same series for all departments like cardiology , ophtal etc.but when we run the report for complete register for eg. (for  cardiology series it gives one number say 3240 &  next for ophthalmology 2100). But there should not been repetition between departments.
And I did not find a option to get complete accession register as we have to choose dept.
Sorry for inconvenience.
With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5984344.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
I suggest in that case, you should not define Accession series
1. In Administration -> Configure System -> General Setup parameters; Go to the section "Customize holdings fields". Click on default button (Now you will be able see department). Click on "Ok" to save the changes

2. Now, for every accession number, while creating or editing you can see a "More >> " button, click on it, now it asks you enter the department. Enter the department

3. In reports, you can generate "Customized list of titles", department wise

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Dear sir,
I tried as mentioned by you to in Administration -> Configure System -> General Setup parameters; Go to the section "Customize holdings fields".  But no department appears.
I have attached screen shot also.
For accession series, there is no more button.
Thanks
With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Verus Open Source Support [via NewGenLib] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I suggest in that case, you should not define Accession series
1. In Administration -> Configure System -> General Setup parameters; Go to the section "Customize holdings fields". Click on default button (Now you will be able see department). Click on "Ok" to save the changes

2. Now, for every accession number, while creating or editing you can see a "More >> " button, click on it, now it asks you enter the department. Enter the department

3. In reports, you can generate "Customized list of titles", department wise

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5984424.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Settings.docx (164K) Download Attachment

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
You have a "Add" button. Please click on that and add a new custom field named "Department" without the double quotes. And save the settings.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Dear sir,
I have added the department as System defined and display=Yes. After that also as mentioned   by you In accession series, there is no option of adding department.
With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5987477.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
Now, In Technical Processing -> Primary Cataloguing -> Simple/General Template,
Catalogue a book, at the time of entering accession number, barcode, classification number there is a "Add>>" button. Click on it and there you can see the department, enter the department.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Thanks sir for clarification.
So we should not use part of same accession series like for us PG series for different departments. Only if we have two differnet series like GH for General Hospital category if at all we want. Please correct me if any thing wrong.
It means for us we should remove all this series for different departments and use only one. Will it affect already cataloged books.
Pls let me know so that this issue gets resolved and I can tell librarian.

With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5987500.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
Adding/Editing/Deleting accession series will not effect the already catalogued books. If you fear any loss, take a backup before you do that.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5987520.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Darshangera
Dear sir,
Sorry to disturb u. Here our librarian has is using
Accession series: Cardiology PG00001 to PG00700
Ophthal PG00801 to PG01400
like this for other depts.

Now when I mentioned to him that he should use only one series and start with the last number allocated like PG1401. Then in between there will be many un-used numbers or there is any solution.

He also mentioned this accession report deptwise was giving correct record tll last month. Only this month its showed repetitive records
Could u suggest what is best possible solution in this case?
With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Darshan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks sir

With regards,
Darshan Gera
SSSIHMS-PG,
Puttaparthi,
A.P.(515134).
Mobile:09440874400

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Verus Open Source Support [via NewGenLib] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Adding/Editing/Deleting accession series will not effect the already catalogued books. If you fear any loss, take a backup before you do that.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Accession-register-and-Stock-register-tp5976434p5987520.html
To unsubscribe from Accession register and Stock register, click here.

Re: Accession register and Stock register

Verus Open Source Support
The repetition of Accession numbers is due to Accession series
The best way is to set departments with each accession number. Accession series purpose is entirely different from the way you are using

Re: Accession register and Stock register

bhulibrarian
Thank you sir for your effort. Your work is just great. I've succeeded in installing NewGenLib and have tried to do the various configurations. I however have had problem with the accession register as I couldn't see any table that I've been asked to select from. I also could not configure the budget head because it keeps bringing the patron option. kindly help. If I don't succeed there is no way I can teach my staff on what to do whereas your software just about provides all that we need for our operations.

John Arosanyin
University Librarian
Bingham University Library
Nigeria