[Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

[Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

pedroparkero
Good day!

Is it possible to add a feature when creating patrons or resetting OPAC passwords, that the new password be sent to the patron?
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

Verus Open Source Support
Hi,
Yes, this feature was discussed earlier. Unfortunately user's email id not being a mandatory field in many libraries, an auto generated password will more be a problem. Hence users are requested to change the password from abc to their own choice.

On 11/16/2011 09:01 AM, pedroparkero [via NewGenLib] wrote:
Good day!

Is it possible to add a feature when creating patrons or resetting OPAC passwords, that the new password be sent to the patron?
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Configuration-Automatically-send-password-to-patron-email-tp6999072p6999072.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.
NAML

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

pedroparkero
But couldn't there be a toggle switch/checkbox while creating/resetting a password that will let the admin decide whether to notify the password change thru email or not? And if there's no email and it's selected, just create an error saying it can't be sent because there is no email...
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

Verus Open Source Support
We are also planning to give a registration form for the users in OPAC to register themselves. They will provide a password of their choice. These registrations will come for approval(by the librarian)....Please comment

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Configuration-Automatically-send-password-to-patron-email-tp6999072p6999252.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.
NAML

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

pedroparkero
Yes, if that's the case, then there would be no need to send the password by email and they can immediately use the OPAC upon approval [provided an automatic notification by email if the user is approved is there also]. I think it's a great alternate way to do it.
Thanks for having thought about this!
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

nsid
As you are talking about patrons registration, I would like to suggest to add some more fields in the patron's form (see bellow):

For example it would be useful to have some more fields (e.g. Postal Code etc) and maybe the possibility to add some custom fields.

Thank you.

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

pedroparkero
We can in fact add custom fields by going to the general setup parameters. Only we have to press the "More" button in the patron module to see the ones we created. Also, I think it would be great if we can also search or create reports by custom fields.
Talking about postal/zip codes, if I can remember correctly, the support team told me it's supposedly what "Pin" is for.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

nsid
Yes, I just missed it!

About the pin number, is it really the Postal Code? And is it used as the temp patron password? No problem then.

Re: [Configuration] Automatically send password to patron email

Verus Open Source Support
Zip code(Postal code)
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

From: "nsid [via NewGenLib]" <[hidden email]>