Cover's image in documents without ISBN

camiloandresrc@gmail.com
Best regards,

¿If I have a document without ISBN, how I can link its cover image?. This happens in many cases (maps, CD's, brochures, etc.).

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Camilo Rodríguez Carlos
Bogotá - Colombia

Re: Cover's image in documents without ISBN

pedroparkero
Hi! I currently don't have access to our database this weekend, so I don't know if this will work. But for the meantime, how about you try this idea:

In the ISBN portion of the item without ISBN, enter NOISBN1
If you have the book cover image, make sure it's a jpg and rename it NOISBN1.jpeg
Place it in NGL302/BookCovers directory

Unless the system just accepts numbers in the filename, it may work. You can then enter succeeding items as NOISBN2, NOISBN3, etc.
If this don't work, we'll just have to wait for the admin for the official workaround...
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Cover's image in documents without ISBN

nsid
I would like to suggest the addition of a new/unique/local field for the no isbn books covers.

For example 99x field or something else.Marc fields range gives us a lot of options.

So when the book has no isbn and we can't have the relation between 020$a and the cover, we may add the new field 99x, where we can type something like Pedro said NOISBN1 etc and then place the relevant image to the cover's folder.

In short terms the system may work as below:

If 020$a has ISBN --> show cover
If 020$a doesn't exist --> call the field 99x$a --> show cover
If 020$a doesn't exist and 99x$a doesn't exist --> no cover

-----

I suggest this idea because many libraries may don't appreciate their ISBN information in the webopac to display NOISBN1, NOISBN2 etc.

Re: Cover's image in documents without ISBN

Verus Open Source Support
Hi, the current nightly build 18Oct2011, has the facility to upload book covers. From "Search Catalogue" you can select a catalogue record and upload Book cover, Table of Contents, Preview, Full View and other attachments.

On 10/21/2011 01:23 PM, nsid [via NewGenLib] wrote:
I would like to suggest the addition of a new/unique/local field for the no isbn books covers.

For example 99x field or something else.Marc fields range gives us a lot of options.

So when the book has no isbn and we can't have the relation of 020$a with the cover, we may add the new field 99x, where we can type something like Pedro said NOISBN1 etc and then place the relevant image to the cover's folder.

In short terms the system may work as below:

If 020$a has ISBN --> show cover
If 020$a doesn't exist --> call the field 99x$a --> show cover
If 020$a doesn't exist and 99x$a doesn't exist --> no cover

-----

I suggest this idea because many libraries may don't appreciate their ISBN information in the webopac to display NOISBN1, NOISBN2 etc.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Cover-s-image-in-documents-without-ISBN-tp6827434p6916136.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Re: Cover's image in documents without ISBN

nsid
Hi,

You implemented it even better. Thank you.

On Oct 21, 2011, at 11:56 AM, Verus Open Source Support [via NewGenLib] wrote:

[...]

To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email <a href="x-msg://23/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6916272&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="x-msg://23/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

NewGenLib Open Source Support
Verus Solutions

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Cover-s-image-in-documents-without-ISBN-tp6827434p6916272.html
To unsubscribe from Cover's image in documents without ISBN, click here.

Re: Cover's image in documents without ISBN

pedroparkero
A book with no ISBN may have another identifying number, like LC Catalog number or OCLC number. I'm not sure if the sites that NGL uses as sources for book covers support searching thru those numbers, though.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Cover's image in documents without ISBN

Verus Open Source Support
Hi,
Every catalogue record in NGL has a unique ID. Book cover images uploaded are stored with this Id.

Currently the sites that are offering the book covers service are only allowing a query based ISBN.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Cover-s-image-in-documents-without-ISBN-tp6827434p6919037.html