Different categories of books with different loan periods?

Different categories of books with different loan periods?

pedroparkero
Good day! My library has three types of books according to how long the students can keep them. There are books they can borrow for 7 days, overnight or for room use only. With NewGenLib's current setup, it seems the only way I can implement this system is to create new "fake" Physical/Presentation forms (e.g., "General Circulation Book", "Reserve Book", "Reference Book") to be used in cataloging the books and editing the circulation privileges matrix. Am I right or is there any other way for that to happen?  Looking forward to your input...
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

Verus Open Source Support
Yes, thats the way

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

ashoksatapathy
Firstly, we have to define the barcode no. according to the service. For example 100 to 500 belong to Overnignt (one night/one day) and rest belongs to general issue (for 7days).  If I am not wrong, then the problem is "we can't issue the books (100-500) in general Issue (for 7daya)?"

In our case we issued books according to users demand and the available stock. I mean to say any books can be issued in general as well as in overnight. In this case we can't segregate the barcode no./Accession no. for specific services.

My question is "group of services (like overnight issue, day issue, & general issue, etc.) will be integrated for general circulation (any books can be issued to any service category)"?

Expecting your best help.

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

Verus Open Source Support
Let me understand your question
1. You have defined barcodes 100 to 500 as over night loan material. Rest of the books fall under a general circulation category
2. You want to circulate 100-500 barcodes as general circulation; And rest of barcodes as over night loans. Based on necessity.
Is this right?

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

ashoksatapathy
Sorry for confusion.

1. We have three no. of services in our library viz. Regular (for 21 days), Overnignt (for one day), and daily service (same day issue and return).

2. In our case we can't segregate the books for different services. I mean to say "we can't distribute our collection at the time of bibliographic record entry". So we circulate all the books as per the requirement of users.

3. For example we have 8000 no. of books. We have already entered all the bibliographical records in our NGL database without any segregation. So the same books will be distributed through different services as and when required.

4. In other words "we need to issue all the books in Overnight, regular, and daily issue as per the requirement". Is it possible? If possible please guide us!

Expecting your best guidance in this regard.

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

Verus Open Source Support
1. Create Physical/Presentation forms i) Overnight ii) Daily service.
2. Modify accession numbers that fall under Overnight and Daily service. Which are currently there as Book. (Edit accession numbers)
3. Define circulation privileges for you patron categories against the above defined Physical/presentation forms
4. Now, if you are circulating regular books you will automatically note the loan period as 21 days, where as if you are circulating Overnight books it will be one day

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

ashoksatapathy
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Then we are in conclusion that, without modifying the accession no. (segregate according to service) we can't run our services (regular, overnight, & daily) issue.

Thanks for your best cooperation.

Re: Different categories of books with different loan periods?

Verus Open Source Support
You need not edit the accession number. You have to change the associated Physical/presentation form associated with the accession number.