Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
Good day!

I'd like to inquire about the behavior while cataloging in Modify record window. If I insert an existing authorized subject heading, shouldn't it just import the Main entry? The problem is, when I search the authorized subject heading and insert it in the record, it also adds a bunch of other details from the authority record, like See & See Also entries. Then when I try to save, it will also include the references in validation, and will ask me whether to create new authority records pertaining to the item when in fact they should just be See & See Also references for the subject of the item.

With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
Also, if I edit a topical heading in the Authorities so that it will have a geographic subdivision (for example, turning "Corporations." to "Corporations--Asia.") and I save it, the subdivision doesn't really save (The authority record will stay as "Corporations". And the subdivisions list would be empty).
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

Verus Open Source Support
Tested this functionality with NGL303 U1. Attached are the screen shots. It works fine here.

Can you please clarify with screen shots

On 10/10/2011 08:17 AM, pedroparkero [via NewGenLib] wrote:
Also, if I edit a topical heading in the Authorities so that it will have a geographic subdivision (for example, turning "Corporations." to "Corporations--Asia.") and I save it, the subdivision doesn't really save (The authority record will stay as "Corporations". And the subdivisions list would be empty).
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

SS1.png (186K) Download Attachment
SS2.png (206K) Download Attachment
SS3.png (186K) Download Attachment
SS4.png (206K) Download Attachment

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
Okay, sorry, my bad. I now know why I can't save the geographical subdivision in an authority record. After typing the geographical name, I immediately click 'OK', without first pressing Enter or clicking my mouse outside the subdivision field. As a result, the program doesn't catch what I typed and so reverts back to the original.
So for the future others who may have the same problem: don't forget to press enter after you type your subdivision to lock in your changes!
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
One other question: this is an issue of consistency, but do I still need to add a period at the end of subject headings (those that don't end in a closing parenthesis or dash, that is)? It seems that NGL strips the period at the end when I import an authority record from LC. If this is deliberate (perhaps they are pointless & just adds junk to the program that can work without it) then I don't need to add the period but if it is a bug that you are planning to fix later, then I will add them.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

Verus Open Source Support
In NewGenLib, the records are punctuated at the time of display. Hence it is necessary that the record must not be punctuated at the time of its creation. Otherwise the punctuation happens twice. Hence while importing records NGL tries to remove the punctuation. This is the problem you are seeing.

However from version 3.0.4
1. Punctuation has be provided at the time of creation of catalogue record. Display will not provide the punctuation within a field
2. Punctuation engine will be provided which will punctuate the records when they are catalogued. This engine is customizable
3. We will provide upgrade routines for existing database to remove old punctuations(if any) and add new punctuations according to punctuation engine.
4. With the above things in place, NGL will not remove any punctuation from imported records.

On 10/11/2011 10:06 AM, pedroparkero [via NewGenLib] wrote:
One other question: this is an issue of consistency, but do I still need to add a period at the end of subject headings (those that don't end in a closing parenthesis or dash, that is)? It seems that NGL strips the period at the end when I import an authority record from LC. If this is deliberate (perhaps they are pointless & just adds junk to the program that can work without it) then I don't need to add the period but if it is a bug that you are planning to fix later, then I will add them.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
I see. So for the time being, we should not bother adding the period in subject headings until the next upgrade.
Thanks a lot for sharing the plans for the future.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
Another question: can I edit the indicators of a tag in an Authority record? Currently it seems that I can't do it when I click the "Indicators" button. [See picture below]

noneditable indicator in a tag of an authority record
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
Also, it says here that tag 440 is already obsolete, and instead we should use tag 490. In NGL, we can select & insert from authorities the title in tag 440 but not in tag 490. Please also make the text box in 490 insertable. :-D
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

nsid
The Marc Authorities are always a painful story...

Let me share with you my issue.

Steps:

1) I create a record with the subject Recycling -- Juvenile literature.

2) I save the record validating my subject (created as new one).

3) I change my mind and I search for the record to modify it.

3) I quickly click on "Modify" button, because I want to replace my subject (Recycling -- Juvenile literature) with an all ready existing one in my database.

4) So during the validation process I choose the other subject "Recycling (Waste) -- Juvenile literature" and I click on " Select the below highlighted entry", expecting the subject to be changed.

5) I finish the procedure and when I search again for the record I see that the subject wasn't changed but still remained "Recycling -- Juvenile literature"

Any ideas?

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
Maybe what you need to do is delete the "Recycling -- Juvenile literature" in the Authority files and just replace it with "Recycling (Waste) -- Juvenile literature", inserting a See reference to "Recycling -- Juvenile literature" in that authority record.
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

nsid
Thank you Pedro,

Well, the problem is that the cataloguer will need sometime to change (replace) the subject with another one of his authorities.

When there is the option "Select the below highlighted entry" you expect to replace the subject easily. I don't want to make for example a see also relation.

That's the function of "Select the below highlighted entry", right?

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

pedroparkero
I don't think I get what you mean at the start and so I have yet to encounter that problem.
You said you want to change your subject at the validation process. But since it's already in the authorities, wouldn't that skip the subject and not ask if you want to create new or select a subject below? A better approach is just to select the subject of the record you wish to change, and then click the green button above that searches for the authority file so it can replace it (but with the current bug, it may also insert other items so that you might have to delete those).

With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Inserting an existing authorized subject heading while modifying a record

nsid
Hi Pedro,

What do you mean by saying "skip the subject"? It is possible to skip the validation of a specific subject?