Interlibrary loan and library heirarchy

Elbiot
Hello!

We are starting a small library and are thinking of using NGL as our ILS.  One unusual thing about our library is that the books are all on loan to the library from individuals.  A lender checks a book in for library use and then some months later the book is due back to the lender (then the lease can be extended or the book returned).

Ideally, Lenders and borrowers would be treated similarly.  For instance, one can find all of the books on loan from one individual, process lease expiration with an automatic email like over due books from borrowers, and create new lenders arbitrarily with just a name, phone # and email address.

I was thinking that, since this thinking is not used in libraries, that we would need to accomplish this through either fancy use of Interlibrary loan functions or perhaps the library network concept of NGL.  But I cannot find documentation on either of these (is there even ILL?)

Could those familiar with NGL recomend or discourage the use of NGL for this project?

Re: Interlibrary loan and library heirarchy

Verus Open Source Support
Hello,
We would like to first appreciate this innovative concept of lending library.
As you have mentioned for this concept we either need to implement an ILL or Network library to realize this.
ILL is available in NGL in Circulation functionality.
However from a "traditional" library's point of view an item loaned on ILL basis is usually meant for one patron only. Once the patron is done with the item it is returned back to the lending library. Which is not your case!
Using Library network will be heavy weight.
Also, most of the books in a library are its own property, hence accession numbers are provided for them.

As of now NewGenLib does not meet the  such requirements. We will consider this business case in our next development cycle.

Warm regards
Verus Solutions open source customer support,
http://www.newgenlib.com

Follow us on
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/newgenlib
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=79908826327
Linked in: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1945351
Slideshare: http://www.slideshare.com/newgenlib
Videos: http://www.metacafe.com/channels/newgenlib/
Become a member of our community: http://newgenlib.spruz.com

On Wednesday 29 September 2010 09:31 AM, Elbiot [via NewGenLib] wrote:
[...]

View message @ http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Interlibrary-loan-and-library-heirarchy-tp5582178p5582178.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Verus Open Source Support [via NewGenLib] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
We would like to first appreciate this innovative concept of lending library.
As you have mentioned for this concept we either need to implement an ILL or Network library to realize this.
ILL is available in NGL in Circulation functionality.
However from a "traditional" library's point of view an item loaned on ILL basis is usually meant for one patron only. Once the patron is done with the item it is returned back to the lending library. Which is not your case!
Using Library network will be heavy weight.
Also, most of the books in a library are its own property, hence accession numbers are provided for them.

As of now NewGenLib does not meet the  such requirements. We will consider this business case in our next development cycle.

Thank you for considering my questions thoughtfully.  Good luck to you,

Elliot