O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
Hi there,

Could you please inform me where I can find the files in order to translate the webopac in my language?

For now, I use the file C:\NewGenLibFiles\OpacLabelsMessages in order to translate some labels, but there are more that need to be translated.

Regards

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
I just noticed that translating C:\NewGenLibFiles\OpacLabelsMessages doesn't change anything in WebOpac

Any ideas?

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
Hi there,

For anyone interesting in translating the webopac, I will try to help by posting my findings here:

1) Find the file: C:\NewGenLibFiles\OpacLabelsMessages\OPACLabels_en_UK.properties

You have to find the file related to your language e.g. OPACLabels_fr_FR.properties for French language.

2) The file is full of lines like these:
#Status=Status
Status=statut
#History=History
History=histoire

3) You don't edit the #line. You have to translate the second part (after the =) of the second line
e.g.

#Status=Status
Status=Statut --> this one

4) Sometimes you won't find a word of WebOpac that needs to be translated e.g. the name of an index.
If this is the case you can add a line like this:

Let's say you want to translate the name of the index "Anywhere"
Add the line:
#Anywhere=anywhere
Anywhere=Add here your translation

Note: I edit the file OPACLabels_x_x.properties using a program called NetBeans.

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
I face one problem.

I can't translate two words using OPACLabels_x_x.properties

For example I can translate the searching tab Books using these lines:
#Books=Books
Books=mytranslation

but I can't translate the searching tab All material types adding these lines:
#Allmaterialtypes=All material types
Allmaterialtypes=mytranslation

Any ideas?

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
Hi there,

I "re-use" this forum topic, in case someone found a solution to this issue (translating two or more words e.g. "All material types".

Regards

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

sonukilskanna
which method you are using to translate.
Please explain me step by step.

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
I use the file: C:\NewGenLibFiles\OpacLabelsMessages\OPACLabels_x_x.properties in order to translate the O.P.A.C.

If I want to translate something e.g. Books, I find (or I create)the following lines:

#Books=Books
Books=MyTranslation

This works just fine, if I have two translate one word.

When I have more words (for example: All material types), the same method doesn't work.

#Allmaterialtypes=All material types
Allmaterialtypes=mytranslation
The above doesn't work.

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

sonukilskanna
just check the other language property file in C:\NewGenLibFiles\OpacLabelsMessages\ directory

there you can find the solution.

for example to translate in hindi check the file OPACLabels_hi_IN.properties
in that you can find unicode.

try to convert your language into that format then check again.

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

nsid
Hi sonukilskanna,

I am able to translate words in my language and I have translate many wordings.

The problem occurs only in wordings with more than one word.

For example, I can't translate "All material types" or "Journals and serials".

Have you translated those wordings? What lines did you use?

e.g.

#Allmaterialtypes=All material types
Allmaterialtypes=mytranslation

or something else?

Re: O.P.A.C. Translations

sonukilskanna
sorry
i didn't get you

if you wanna translate more then one word then try to translate word by word manually.