Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
Hi,

I tried to edit the library_home.html using non latin characters and see the result:

Any idea?

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
Can you please send the NGL302/apache-tomcat-6.0.XX/webapps/resources/portal/web_pages/LIB_1/library_home.html

On 10/06/2011 10:42 AM, nsid [via NewGenLib] wrote:
Hi,

I tried to edit the library_home.html using non latin characters and see the result:

Any idea?

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6864895.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
Yes, of course. library_home.html

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
Hi,
The attached file has come with junk characters. Please see the screenshot. Can you pls email it as an attachment to [hidden email]?

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6864928.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Screenshot.png (119K) Download Attachment

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
Well, as an html file it really shows junk characters, but if you try to edit it, using notepad for example, you will probably see the nonlatin characters correctly.

I tried to send the attached file via the nibble's email option, but I couldn't find the way to attach the file.

Maybe, now that I zipped it you will be able to access it in a better way.

Thank you.library_home.html.zip

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
Does the attached screen shot contain the valid characters? pls confirm so that we can test it locally

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6864991.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Screenshot-1.png (123K) Download Attachment

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
The attached screenshot shows junk characters. They are not valid characters.

If open the library_home.html file using the notepad I see this text:

"...Η βιβλιοθήκη παρέχει στους χρήστες της πρόσβαση σε πληροφοριακές πηγές μέσα σε ένα κλίμα, το οποίο ενθαρρύνει το διαμοιρασμό της γνώσης..."

Which is the correct text that the webopac should show.

Instead the webopac displays these non under stable characters, you see at the screenshot.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
Hi,
If you are editing the file using Notepad, then while saving you should save it as Unicode. That seems to be the problem.
Please edit the file and save it and open the file using Firefox, if it opens fine with Firefox it means your characters are saved in Unicode

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6865012.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
I saved as Unicode, but now I see different junk characters:

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Solutions Support
After you save the file. Select the file and right click and open with firefox
Also try editing the file with word

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

From: "nsid [via NewGenLib]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 23:56:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: Verus Solutions Support<[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

I saved as Unicode, but now I see different junk characters:

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6865033.html

It is very weird when I open the library_html file,  with firefox seem correctly, but when I visit the homepage of the webopac, using Firefox again, I see broken characters...

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
We will check here on windows os and get back you.

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone

From: "nsid [via NewGenLib]" <[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 00:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: Verus Open Source Support<[hidden email]>

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6865062.html

From: "nsid [via NewGenLib]" <<a href="x-msg://100/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6865078&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 00:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: Verus Open Source Support<<a href="x-msg://100/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6865078&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]>

It is very weird when I open the library_html file,  with firefox seem correctly, but when I visit the homepage of the webopac, using Firefox again, I see broken characters...

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6865062.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email <a href="x-msg://100/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6865078&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, <a href="x-msg://100/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.
NewGenLib Open Source Support
Verus Solutions

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6865078.html
To unsubscribe from Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage, click here.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
Hi, Tested the same on Linux it works fine. I have attached the screenshot for your reference. The problem is that Notepad does not save the data in UTF-8.
I referred to a page http://docs.moodle.org/20/en/Converting_files_to_UTF-8#Saving_files_directly_as_UTF-8
There is a editor for Windows to save data in unicode http://www.pspad.com/
Please refer to above site also. Make sure you save your file in UTF-8 encoding.

From: "nsid [via NewGenLib]" <<a href="x-msg://100/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6865078&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 00:11:04 -0700 (PDT)
To: Verus Open Source Support<<a href="x-msg://100/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6865078&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]>

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6865083.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Screenshot-2.png (234K) Download Attachment

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
I checked with PSPad Editor too but still no luck...

I always saved as UTF8 using both the Notepad and the PSPad editor.

I really don't understand what I miss...

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

pedroparkero
I see your attached file (the one that is zipped) correctly in Firefox. (Although to be clear, my FF's character encoding is set with Autodetect->Universal, so instead of the default UTF-8, it goes to Greek ISO-8859-7).
I can't get it to show correctly in Chrome with autodetect selected, though (I have to manually select Greek encoding).
So Firefox can read it, but you say when it is combined with the OPAC homepage it transforms to junk characters? That is strange...
With great knowledge comes great responsibility.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
I think I have a very interesting finding for the development team.

If I select to open the library_home.html file with chrome and other browsers and I am getting junk characters...

The context of the library_home.html file is:
---------------
---------------

But when I add the following html code to library_home.html, I can open it with any browser and I am getting the Greek characters correctly!

------------
<head>
http-equiv="content-type">
<title>Library</title>
</head>
--------------
I believe it has something to do with the html statement about UTF8.

As I visit the NewGenLib homepage I am still getting the junk characters too. Maybe should we implement there the UTF8 parameter too?

Just an idea...

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
Problem identified in windows. Will be rectified in the next update

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6875796.html
To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, click here.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

nsid
Great to hear. Thank you.

On Oct 10, 2011, at 9:50 AM, Verus Open Source Support [via NewGenLib] wrote:

[...]

To start a new topic under NewGenLib, email <a href="x-msg://165/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=6875921&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from NewGenLib, <a moz-do-not-send="true" href="x-msg://165/" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">click here.

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6875921.html
To unsubscribe from Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage, click here.

Re: Unicode problem (?) - WebOpac HomePage

Verus Open Source Support
The below findings are right. When the library_home.html is being read by NGL application UTF-8 encoding was not applied. Now this has been applied and characters are being shown correctly. The same is the case with contactus.html and it is also rectified
Thank you for pointing out these issues.
This problem is rectified at the coding level. Will be available in the next update

http://newgenlib.2944635.n2.nabble.com/Unicode-problem-WebOpac-HomePage-tp6864895p6875925.html